This Page

has been moved to new address

Pink & Green Hobo Bag - Finished

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
R.Kay Design: Pink & Green Hobo Bag - Finished

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pink & Green Hobo Bag - Finished

This bag really turned out cute. As I mentioned in my other post, I used a Sweet Pea Totes pattern with Michael Miller fabric.

I only had a couple problems getting through this project. First, I thought to myself that the flap needed to be stiff, so I used Pellon DecoBond interfacing. That was a big mistake and I realized it right away, thankfully. As soon as I put the flap on the exterior piece, before the lining was sewed in, I flipped the flap closed to see what it looked like. Because the flap goes across the top and the folds down the opposite side, the DecoBond crinkled and wrinkled. It was not pretty.

As the pattern suggested, I added fleece between the exterior and the lining. This gave the bag a wonderful squishy feel. The flap made with the DecoBond interfacing, had no fleece, so it was not as luxurious as the rest of the bag.

I knew right away that I had to re-do it. Thank goodness I had extra fabric.

I really wanted to make the strap adjustable but when I went to JoAnn's to buy the buckles, they were out. Boo! The only other fabric store that's close to me is Hobby Lobby and their notions area is quite small. I could have driven out to Hancock but that store is 10 or 15 miles away. I didn't want to go that far for two square metal rings. So, I just put a straight strap on it.

Lastly, I gave a review of Sweet Pea Totes patterns in another post - here. Since then I found out that some of her patterns can be purchased through Simplicity. That is fabulous. The patterns are really cute and simple to make but purchasing using a PDF was tough because there were photos instead of drawings and the documents were over 40 pages. Way too much ink involved. I haven't purchased the pattern from Simplicity but I would imagine it's just like all the other Simplicity patterns with good instructions that you can keep next to your machine, plus, you can find them on sale all the time for $1-$2 at JoAnn's and Hancock - much less expensive.

Okay, I have to go to work now. Till later ~

Reba

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

At June 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM , Blogger Emily S said...

Great job! I love the colors on this bag. It's so cute!

Emily

 
At June 8, 2011 at 7:20 AM , Blogger Reba said...

Thanks Emily!

 
At June 8, 2011 at 10:10 PM , Blogger Fabric Bows and More said...

Cute! Come and join our link party: http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com/

 
At June 8, 2011 at 11:04 PM , Blogger Reba said...

Thanks! I just linked.

 
At June 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Whit said...

That bag is so cute! Great job. I found you through a linky party! Come and say hi, enter my giveaway and vote for my picture. Thank you.

A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

 
At June 9, 2011 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Reba said...

Thanks! I just followed - will check out all your stuff later tonight.

 
At June 9, 2011 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Esther Asbury said...

Beautiful!! Love the fabric you used -- so pretty!

 
At June 9, 2011 at 11:14 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

love the colors:)

 
At June 11, 2011 at 5:38 PM , Blogger Jenni Price said...

Pretty and nice choice of color!

 
At June 11, 2011 at 7:27 PM , Blogger loreen said...

I love this bag. You did a great job. Hope you have time to check out my blog http://loreen-kniftyknits.blogspot.com/
Have a great weekend

Loreen

 
At June 11, 2011 at 10:47 PM , Anonymous Michele said...

sooo cute!!!

 
At June 12, 2011 at 5:57 AM , Anonymous ElisabethAndrée said...

What else can I write but: WOW! Very pretty bag!

 
At June 12, 2011 at 9:54 AM , Blogger Mimi said...

That is really cute! Love your fabric! Thanks for the tip on using felt between the layers. I'd never thought about doing that but I am sure it makes a difference!
Stopping by from Party Mindie Style

 
At June 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

This is so cute! You did a great job on it! I'm your newest follower. Hope you can visit me sometime soon!

 
At June 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM , Blogger Mindie Hilton said...

I love a hobo style bag. This is beautiful.

Thanks so much for linking up to Bacon Time. Our first party was a big hit with over 300 links. I can't wait to see what you have for me next week. I have a special give away planned just for linkers at the party. Thanks for grabbing the button to, yeah!

 
At June 16, 2011 at 2:49 PM , Blogger Katy said...

Lovely bag the colours are fabulous! Very striking :)

 
At June 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM , Blogger Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

The bag turned out really cute!
Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
Hope to see you again this weekend!
xoxo,
Vanessa

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home