This Page

has been moved to new address

Finished the Black & Yellow Clutch

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
R.Kay Design: Finished the Black & Yellow Clutch

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Finished the Black & Yellow Clutch

After a lot of drama, rereading of the instructions, and figuring things out on my own, I finally finished the black and yellow clutch I started last week. It turned out great, don't you think? I plan on adding a black flower broach on the front flap where it dips in the middle to give it just that touch of something special.

The pattern is Amy Butler's Everything Clutch that's included in her Style Stitches book, but I have to say, that pattern is really difficult to follow and flat out wrong in some of the instructions. If I followed it to the letter, this cutie would not have turned out nice at all. I had all kinds of problems, from very hard to follow instructions with wrong measurements, to using a method to add a zipper pouch that's just crazy, to adding an insert that makes it virtually impossible to sew in the lining with a machine. I had to totally rework the insides but in spite of all that and the help of a good night's sleep, it came out really nice.

I do plan on making more clutches, but will use my own pattern. I will never use Amy Butler's patterns again. The next clutch I make will be similar but nowhere near the same. I can give Amy credit for showing me how NOT to make a clutch. All that said, if her designs weren't so hard to figure out, they'd be really great, I love the way the pictures look in her book.

Oh well, life goes on and I get better at what I do! Lessons learned! So long Amy patterns (but not her fabric, it's fantastic!). Just sayin'.

I'll post this on Etsy as soon as I find 'just the right' broach.

Till later ~

Reba

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At June 2, 2011 at 12:33 AM , Blogger Tanya said...

That fabric is great. I have read other people saying her patterns are that way too. Thanks for sharing, I am new at sewing and this will help me avoid future mistakes.

 
At June 2, 2011 at 7:08 AM , Blogger Reba said...

Tanya, Lisa Lam's Bag Making Bible is much better especially for a beginner. The designs aren't as good but the instruction is incredible. I highly recommend that book if you want make more than just one bag. But if you just want to make one bag for yourself, check out the patterns by McCalls, Butterick, and Simplicity. Those are always good if you can find what you like.

 
At June 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM , Blogger Chrissy + Nate said...

SO cute! That fabric is gorgeous! Visiting from TT&J :) www.chrissyandnathan.blogspot.com

 
At June 4, 2011 at 12:36 AM , Blogger Chef in Training said...

I love the fabric and colors on this! You did a fabulous job! I want to make one for myself! I found your blog through a link party and I LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

 
At June 4, 2011 at 2:58 PM , Blogger Cecily said...

Super adorable! I love the pattern and the colors - fabulous!

 
At June 6, 2011 at 8:52 AM , Blogger Jan said...

Despite all your problems with the pattern , the bag looks great. Thanks for the heads up about Amy's patterns. I have always wanted to make one.

 
At June 6, 2011 at 9:39 PM , Blogger Jill said...

Great clutch made with beautiful fabric! And at least you learned lots along the way making it!! :)

I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
Have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

 
At June 6, 2011 at 10:39 PM , Blogger Reba said...

Thanks Jill - I just linked up!

 
At June 6, 2011 at 11:13 PM , Blogger Jill said...

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit Reba! and for grabbing the button too! Very much appreciated!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

 
At June 7, 2011 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

The clutch does look wonderful! I'm so pleased someone else had these issues with an Amy Butler pattern, I thought I was being really stupid, but sometimes the instructions make no sense at all!

 
At June 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM , Blogger Bethany said...

Hi Reba - I found you on several linkies - love the clutch!! You'd never know you had a few issues with it :)
I second the nomination of The Bag Making Bible, as well as Lisa Lam's blog (link at u-handbag.com). Amy's designs are great, but Lisa will probably teach you the techniques to make them properly (or without pulling out your hair).
I'm having a sew-along for a delcious bag starting on the 13th on my blog: check it out if you're interested (it's easier than an Amy, I promise :)
http://sweetbeebuzzings.blogspot.com/2011/06/sew-along-get-ready.html

 
At June 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM , Blogger Reba said...

Bethany! I'd love to do your sew-along, I love the purse we'll be making! I'm going to print the pattern and figure out what fabric tonight. Thanks!

 
At June 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Katie P said...

So cute! I'm loving yellow right now (I think along with the rest of blogland...) but this would be perfect for multiple seasons, so that rocks!

 
At June 11, 2011 at 5:24 PM , Blogger Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

Very cute!!
Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty things} last week!
I hope to see you again tomorrow! ;)
xoxo,
Vanessa

 
At June 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM , Blogger Mindie Hilton said...

I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/06/any-link-goes-party-running-now-summer.html

Come strut your stuff.
Etsy links ok too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home