This Page

has been moved to new address

3 Best Interfacings I Use When Making Handbags

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
R.Kay Design: 3 Best Interfacings I Use When Making Handbags

Friday, November 11, 2011

3 Best Interfacings I Use When Making Handbags

If you go to the Pellon website and click on the products link, you'll understand why it's so hard to figure out what interfacing to use when making your handbags. Counting how many different interfacings are made by just this one manufacturer, you'll count 61. Really? Are that many needed?

Well, maybe that many are needed when you look at all the things you can make where interfacing will make the project better. But, for the most part, when making handbags and purses, I only use three and I stock up on those three when I find them on sale.

I use Pellon brand fusible interfacings because fusible is easy to use and the Pellon brand is found at most fabric stores. So below you will find a little info about my fav three interfacings along with their item numbers. If you want to buy these items, you will find the item number on the end of the bolt to insure you buy the proper interfacing.

  1. SF101 Shape-Flex® All Purpose Woven Fusible Interfacing - I use this interfacing on the linings of my handbags, it gives the fabric a little more strength, body, and stability. Since this interfacing is woven just like the cotton fabric used for the lining, it allows the fabric to move naturally, it's just stronger. It comes in white and black but I rarely use black, if you're using a cotton that is at least quilting weight, you usually can't see through it.
  2. TP971F Fusible Thermolam® Plus Extra Loft Fusible Fleece Interfacing (if you want less loft, use 987F Fusible Fleece) - I use this interfacing on the exterior and straps of my handbags. It helps them to stand up and have shape while making the fabric cushy soft.
  3. Peltex® Ultra Firm Heavy Weight Stabalizer - There are three options for Peltex, sew in with no fusible (Peltex 70), fusible on one side (Peltex 71F), and double side fusible (Peltex 72F), and depending on what you're making, you may buy any of them. I use Peltex for clutch purses, some wallets, and hard lining dividers.
If there's another brand or item you use for interfacing, let us know in the comments below. I hope this helps you choose which interfacing to buy next time you go to the fabric store to buy for your next handbag.

Soon I'll write about how to fuse the interfacings to your fabric. I wrote about it once before but I think it was embedded in a sew-along and I think it needs its own post.

I may or may not post this weekend, I'm going shopping on Saturday with my daughter who just told us she's having a baby! She's about 12 weeks along and wants to window shop at Babys R Us. Should be fun.

Until next time ~

Reba

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At November 11, 2011 at 10:44 PM , Blogger Tips from the Heart said...

Great tips! I love sewing handbags but hate messing with interfacing, resulting in limp and weak bags. I will keep this list handy from now on! And Congrats on being a grandma!
-Robyn from http://tipsfromtheheart.blogspot.com

 
At November 12, 2011 at 6:16 AM , Blogger Kaitlyn said...

How on earth can you go to babies r us knowing you have a grand baby on the way and just window shop????

 
At November 12, 2011 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Reba said...

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of - what are we thinking? Window shopping, yeah right!

Hope you guys enjoy the tips!

 
At November 12, 2011 at 10:59 AM , Blogger Bethany said...

Those are my 3 too! I have some others I bought before I learned a few things that I use on smaller projects that won't have much weight or wear, but those 3 up there are my favorites :)

 
At November 14, 2011 at 6:45 AM , Blogger Earjeans said...

I love using their interfacing also. It makes my pieces so durable and keeps them looking funky :) I tried my hand at making purses but I traced the pattern wrong and never went back to correct and finish. I still have the pieces so maybe one day I'll get enough courage to complete it, ha. I love how colorful and unique your purses are. So glad to have found you through Indie Biz Chicks. I'll see you around.

 
At November 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM , Blogger Abby's Inspiration said...

Thank you for the Pellon tips.

 
At November 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM , Blogger Grammasheri said...

I use those also and just found Soft & Stable which I really like. Very good info on your site!

 
At April 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pellon has a new site www.PellonProjects.com and also a great Facebook page. Come on over and "Friend" them to see what's new and enter their monthly contests! A new product for handbags is 520 Deco-Fuse Firm from Pellon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home