This Page

has been moved to new address

Molly Handbag Sew-Along - Special Addition

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
R.Kay Design: Molly Handbag Sew-Along - Special Addition

Friday, September 16, 2011

Molly Handbag Sew-Along - Special Addition

I decided to do something a little different than the pattern and add a firm bottom to Molly. It's really easy and it makes it a little stronger than just a fabric bottom. I use plastic canvas and that makes a nice piece for purse feet to tack to if you want to add feet. I didn't add feet to this one but they are really easy to add, I'm sure you can figure it out. Maybe in a later sew-along I'll show you how to do it.

Wait, I know where you can find out how to add purse feet...over at Bethany's blog, Sweet Bee Buzzings. Here's a link to the sew-along she did where we added feet to our purses. How to add feet to your hangbag.  If you stop by over there, tell her hi for me.

You need a piece of plastic canvas, and a needle and thread. Here are the pics with captions explaining.

First thing you have to do is measure the inside bottom. It should be 10x4 but just check it anyway.
This is what a plastic canvas looks like. I bought mine at JoAnn's, it cost less than a dollar.

Cut the canvas to size. It's easy to cut straight, just follow the line. When you finish cutting, the edge will have nubs like in the picture.

You need to trim off the nubs to make the edge smooth.

Place the trimmed piece in the bottom of the exterior shell that we sewed last weekend.
Thread a needle. It doesn't matter what color thread, no one will ever see it. I used a curved needle but I actually think the job would have been easier if I used a straight one.
Next be sure the canvas is centered both lengthwise and crosswise.
Start sewing the canvas to the center bottom seam. Be sure to make a knot when you first start or it will pull through the canvas. Sew only to the seam, you don't want to sew to the purse bottom or you will see it on the outside. To keep it straight sew down the same line of openings. This will hold the canvas in place.
This is what it looked like when I finished. This piece of canvas will be between the exterior and the lining when we finish.
Another picture of the canvas sewn all the way across the middle bottom seam.
I also tacked it in place on each corner. You can see the orange thread on each corner.
Here's a closer picture of a corner tack. Now that's it, you're ready to start on the lining.
Tomorrow I will post the pictures of sewing the lining. I chose to add a zip pocket, so that will be covered.

I'm a bit tired so I'm going to finish my sewing tomorrow morning.

Until then ~

Reba

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At September 17, 2011 at 11:08 AM , Blogger Bethany said...

"Sew the canvas to the center seam." Duh. Oh, how stupid I feel! When I do a rigid bottom I always use purse feet with it to help hold it in place...and because I could never figure out how to tack it without it showing on the outside. Just goes to show - no matter how many times you do something there's always something new to learn! And thanks for the mention/link!

 
At September 17, 2011 at 11:23 AM , Blogger Reba said...

Bethany! Your way is not stupid, it's genius. And I didn't come up with this on my own, it was a brainstorming session with my friend at work. I told her when I put on the feet, no matter how precisely I measure, and how careful I am, they always seem to shift and then look uneven. We tossed around ideas and came up with tacking it to the seam before putting on the feet. Voila! No feet needed unless you wanted them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home