This Page

has been moved to new address

OMG My New Sewing Machine is FAB-U-LOUS!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
R.Kay Design: OMG My New Sewing Machine is FAB-U-LOUS!

Monday, August 8, 2011

OMG My New Sewing Machine is FAB-U-LOUS!

My hubby and I are back from the Ozarks but still have a couple of days off from work. We were sitting around with nothing to do today, r-e-l-a-x-i-n-g, when I thought I'd just ask, "Do you want to go look at new sewing machines with me? I need to take mine in for service and we can just see how much a better machine would cost."

Surprise! Surprise! He said, "Sure." So off we went to Sewing and Vacuum Warehouse! Honestly, I didn't think we were going to buy, I really didn't. <wink> <wink>

When we got there the lady started to look at the Janome I purchased at Hancock for $250. I was sewing along one day and hit a pin harder than a jackhammer, ever since, it just didn't sound right even though it sewed just fine. This machine has been very good to me, actually, until now, it's the best sewing machine I've ever owned. It's priced great and is perfect for home and craft sewing.

She didn't find anything wrong with my machine except that the needle-threader was out of alignment. She replaced the end piece and called it fixed. Then I asked her to show me a Janome that was heavy enough to sew leather. I really want to be able to make a leather purse.

We started with the Janome DC2010 priced at $500. It was nice. It sewed denim well and through quite a few layers. However, after sewing a flat felled seam like those you find on a pair of jeans, and then trying to sew a hem at the end of the seam, like you would it you were hemming a pair of jeans, the needle broke right as I was going over the flat felled seam. Boo. I wanted a machine that would move through that like butter.

So...we moved up to the Memory Craft 6600. There were other machines in between the DC2010 and the Memory Craft 6600 but they had the same motor as the DC2010. So I would have gotten the same result. OMG, what a wonderful machine. I bought it. That's when I was glad my hubby was with me, as it wasn't cheap at $1350. He loves me, so I got it.

This machine sewed through the flat felled seam just like butter. It's heavy at 27lbs but I don't plan on moving it much. It sews like what I would think an industrial machine feels like. It has tons of decorative stitches but best of all, especially since I make purses, it has a built in walking foot. I think Janome calls it the Accufeed System.

For those who don't know what a walking foot is, basically it feeds the fabric from the top and bottom. The walking foot feeds the top and the feed dogs feed the bottom. That stops the bunching of the top fabric at the end or at a pin. Do you ever have multi-layers and no matter how many pins you use, the pieces still don't stay lined up? A walking foot will stop that. I always use it when sewing purses, especially when joining the exterior and interior pieces when you really want everything to line up nicely.

Way Cool - Perfect Rolled Hem
I just spent a couple hours going through all the stitches, I even tried using the rolled hem foot. I have never ever been able to get the rolled hem foot to work - on this machine, it works. So cool.

Anyway, watch out, I'm really going to be spending some time behind the sewing machine now! I promised hubby I'd make some new cushions for our patio chairs, I have to pay for this thing some how.

If you want to comment about how much you love your Janome Memory Craft 6600 or if you're considering a purchase and want to ask questions, just leave a comment. If I don't know the answer, I'll figure it out.

P.S. I'm still working on my Molly Pattern. Since I was away on vacation for a week it set me back a bit. But I did make an important decision about the pattern, I'm not going to sell it, I'm going to give it away! So be sure to check back often, I'll post here when it's ready.

Till later ~

Reba

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At August 9, 2011 at 5:50 PM , Anonymous Vicki G said...

Congrats on your new machine!! A good machine will spoil you real fast but enjoy it. I've sewn on the 6600 at my Project Linus group and, yes, it's a nice machine. I have a Babylock Esante (with the embroidery module) and love it! Good machines are worth the price!

 
At August 10, 2011 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Reba said...

Hi Vicki! I agree, up till you have a good machine you don't realize how much you can do and how much time you waste. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

 
At August 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM , Anonymous Elena said...

Great! A bigger and faster helper. I am glad I found your blog.

 
At August 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

smoooooth like buttah! Congrats on the new machine!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home